Palm Products is an Australian owned and operated designer and manufacturer of unbreakable drink and tableware products and of precision plastic automotive and building parts. Palm’s consumer products are sold in Australia, Asia, Europe, the Middle East and North America. The company is the largest supplier of unbreakable drinkware in Australia. Palm’s precision automotive parts are found in Toyota, General Motors, Ford, Porsche, Hyundai vehicles and Volvo and Iveco trucks. Parts are exported to Thailand, Hungry, Spain, India and South Africa. Palm is a leader in automotive lens manufacture and 2-shot moulding.
The manufacturing facility in Melbourne, Australia is a synergy of state-of-the-art European equipment, robotics, systems and passionate motivated staff.
Values of mutual thrust and goal congruence drive innovation, productivity and quality and our customer focus.
Designed to Perform Beautifully
“Design is not just what it looks like and feels like; design is how it works.” Steve Jobs
Fundamental to each of Palm Products’ designs is the imperative that it perform its intended function, is appropriate in its environment and is durable. Outdoor drinkware, for example, should be stable and unbreakable.
This passion for performance sets Palm apart. It has led to many design innovations and to the use of advanced ergonomic design techniques and state of the art 2-shot moulding processes to achieve highly functional ground-breaking products.
Design to be beautiful – to give pleasure in use
Beautiful design is central to Palm Products’ strategic vision. It results in products that are functionally, aesthetically, and commercially more efficient, improving people’s lives and leading to the smallest possible impact on the environment.
The core idea is that our products should give pleasure in use. Pleasure in use is an emotional reaction that is a combination of the sensibilities of the consumer which encompass the aesthetic, the functional, the health and safety and the sustainable. It will be different for each consumer.
We seek that indefinable magic that elevates great art, or great music or great architecture from the noise.
The Marc Newson Collection won a 2104 Red Dot Award for high design quality. The Red Dot Design Award is an international product design prize awarded by the Design Centrum Nordrheim Westfalen in Essen, Germany.
This award is probably the world’s most sought after design award.
The Collection also won a Good Design Award and was selected to be exhibited at Sydney’s Powerhouse Museum’s “Success and Innovation gallery”.
The Sorona Plate and Bowl Collection designed by Robert Wilson, won a 2015 Good Design Award.
The Judges commented: “an intricate intersection of high-end materials, technology, advanced manufacturing and beautiful design – all executed immaculately. The end product is an elegant, functional and highly desirable range that is underpinned by good design and solid environmental credentials.”
These awards are a recognition of Palm Products design and execution credentials. They demonstrate our success.
Guaranteed Unbreakable and Dishwasher-safe
Products made from Tritan and Sorona are guaranteed unbreakable and dishwasher safe in normal use and are microwave safe for re-heating.
Palm Products offers a lifetime guarantee.(see Environment and Quality More >)
Automotive Quality Standards
Fundamental to export success is quality. Suppliers to the Automotive industry must deliver zero faulty parts. The disciplines to achieve this quality level are applied to all our products. Palm’s manufacturing facility in Melbourne is accredited to automotive quality standard ISO TS16949, to manufacturing and design standard ISO 9001 and to environment standard ISO 14001.
Palm has been making instrument cluster lenses for Toyota for many years. Best practice skills learnt on how to achieve ripple free, mirror-polished lenses have been further refined and applied to the production of exceptional quality consumer products.
All products are made in Melbourne, Australia. Out-sourcing production to Asia is viewed as compromising the close relation between design, engineering and production necessary to produce these high-end products with the required quality and utility levels. This close relationship drives product innovation, continuous improvement and our commitment to quality.
Quality and pride are our the driving force – not short-term cost. Our goals are different to those of most of our competitors. We aim to do things the right way with a clear vision – each decision, by all members of staff, whether large or small, is made with this vision. It guides us each day. Doing things the right way over the long term results in the lowest cost and the highest quality as it drives out waste and inefficiency.
Visitors to our Melbourne factory are amazed at our levels of technology, systems and productivity.
Palm Products is committed to using industry best practice and to introduce ever-more sustainable and safer materials and production processes as they become available. We aim to be at the leading edge.
Sustainability is determined by such factors as whether a product contains renewably source material, the material’s energy of manufacture, the economy of material usage in the product, the energy used during processing, the products useful life, and disposal. Palm Products has taken the following actions:
- Sorona, a new 35% Renewably sourced material from DuPont, is used in the new Sorona Plate and Bowl collection, even though it is significantly more expensive than alternatives.
- In sourcing raw materials, the energy used from extraction, through useful life to disposal is considered
- Energy efficient European equipment is used
- Long life materials are used – for example, products made from Tritan and Sorona are guaranteed unbreakable and dishwasher safe and so will out-last lesser material many times – saving replacement.
- Designs are robust and long lasting
- All materials used are 100% recyclable
Food Safety – BPA-free and Melamine-free
Palm Products is a BPA-free company
There are legitimate questions on the safety of many plastics and of melamine. Palm Products has taken the following actions:
- BPA-containing polycarbonate has been phased out. Polycarbonate is banned in France and in California, under Proposition 65, Bisphenol A is listed as it is known to Cause Reproductive Toxicity, Effective May 11, 2015.
- Material sourcing is preferred from leading companies like DuPont and from companies with 100% traceability.
- Quality certification ensures that systems are in-place to prevent substitution of materials. 100% traceability means that a product can be traced from a consumer, back to the day of production and to the material batch numbers uses. Substitution and trust are considered an important issues.
- Product labelling includes material type
- If US or Euro authorities have safety concerns expressed as a “minimum daily safe intake” – such as exists for Polycarbonate and Melamine – these materials will not be used.
(see Environment and Quality More >)
Asian-Competitive Delivered Cost
Fundamental to export success is cost competitiveness. A high degree of vertical integration from product development, through automated production, through direct distribution from factory to customer/distributor, through in-house sales and marketing helps to deliver Asian cost competitive products to Asian, European, Middle-Eastern and North American markets.
Marc Newson has been described as one of the most influential designers of his generation. He has worked across a wide range of disciplines, creating everything from furniture and household objects, to bicycles and cars, private and commercial aircraft, yachts, various architectural commissions, and signature sculptural pieces for clients across the globe. He is well known for his work with Qantas.
Robert Wilson is the owner and Managing Director of Palm Products.
Fax (61) (0)3 9532 0144
- 23 Nov 2015Fantastic METS. Palm exhibited at METS 2015 (Marine Equipment Trade Show) in Amsterdam 17th to 19th November for the 7th time.The Marc Newson Collection continues to gain acceptance. There is no doubt that it is hitting the sw...